Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Magic Tree


Today, I met with my old friend, the magic tree. It was a beautiful, sunny day with all of the trees blossoming into their multicolored outfits for Spring. I was walking through the courtyard in Martin on my way home when I saw the magic tree, looking plain and droopy as usual. It had no blossoms, no hint of green at all, and its branches were slumping all the way to the ground. There were people walking all around me, and I didn't want to seem like a weirdo, but I wanted to go and say hello to the magic tree and make a wish since it had been so long.

See, freshman year, I came upon this tree, and I didn't know that it was magical at the time. It was just an intriguing tree because it didn't look like any of the other ones, and in some way, it reminded me of a smaller version of Mother Willow from Pocahontas. I always loved Mother Willow, so I went up to make a wish on this tree. When the wish came true (I can't tell you what the wish was), I decided to go back and make another wish. Making a wish on the tree consists of placing your hand on the tree, whispering your wish, and then kissing it for good luck.

So when I went up to the tree this afternoon, there was a guy standing there staring at me because I guess I looked sketchy. I quickly broke off a tiny bit of the tree and made my wish on the broken-off piece. When I peeled off some of the bark of my broken piece, a bright green center appeared. My tree is magical. It puts on a facade of ugliness, hiding away its beauty and magical powers on the inside. It made me happy, and my wish came true.

Things running through my brain:

Literary theory (mainly deconstructionism for the moment)
Xylophones
Lolita
Mountains (I can't wait to go hiking this weekend!)
Flying
Tiredness (have to be up and going by 7 am...)
How good that chocolate milk was

I had a really wonderful day. It ended with seeing Eleemosynary, which was surprisingly really fantastic. It was showing in Bellamy Theater, and I liked the intimacy of the performance with only the three actresses and the audience. One of my favorite lines: "That's just the truth of the body, not of the spirit." --Dorothea, the eccentric grandmother. She was my favorite character, by far.

I should probably get some sleep now, if that's possible. My body has gotten into some bad sleeping habits recently, and it probably doesn't help that I drink Mayan Mochas at 9 pm.

To finish, here is a bit of dialogue from my favorite movie (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind):

Clementine: You know me, I'm impulsive.
Joel: That's what I love about you.

Joel: I can't see anything I don't like about you.
Clementine: But you will, you will think of things, and I'll get bored with you and feel trapped because that's what happens with me.
Joel: Okay.

LOVE.


I can't believe Grammie has been gone for almost an entire year. March 8. I'll be seeing you, gram. I bet it's so magical where you are.

Goodnight, everyone.

-Lauren




No comments:

Post a Comment